What is dental prophylaxis? Do you want to know about it? You can make an appointment at this modern clinic near Maroubra. They are very familiar with these dental services. Aside from that, they can provide your dental needs to meet optimum oral health condition. Surprisingly, this article will give a little help as well to discuss dental prophylaxis.
What is dental prophylaxis?
Dental prophylaxis consists of dental procedures to clean and inspect your teeth for signs of potential dental issues. Your dental hygienist and dentist usually refer to this medical term as “prophy”. Like the other dental procedures, your dental hygienist uses a prophy to promote oral health. Below are the specific dental services that you may encounter under a prophylaxis dental appointment.
- Dental exams – includes the evaluation of your mouth for cavities, gum disease, oral cancer, and many more.
- X-rays – allows dental professionals to see signs of tooth decay.
- Dental cleaning – includes removal of plaque, calculus, and tartar in your teeth.
- Scaling or root planing – the process to remove tartar and other residues from teeth through scraping.
- Teeth flossing – a part of oral hygiene to remove food particles between the teeth.
- Polishing – uses a pumice-type paste to remove stains and accumulated dental plaque.
- Fluoride treatments – applicable to those who do not have enough fluoride in their teeth.
- Dental sealants – excellent to prevent tooth decay.
As you can see, each of these procedures provides individual purposes in your teeth. Moreover, the dental hygienist knows which method is applicable for your oral health. On the other hand, we also have this procedure called deep cleaning. How is it different from dental prophylaxis? This short video will help you with that.
Benefits of getting dental prophylaxis
Prophylaxis or oral prophy is best to take every six months or yearly. However, it depends on the condition of the patient. Routine dental cleaning or oral prophy includes polishing and scaling. During the scaling process, the dentist will scrape the accumulated tartar, plaque and stains in your teeth and gum lines.
Meanwhile, the polishing process will smoothen the teeth’ surface by removing rough spots, attracting bacteria. On the other hand, below are the main benefits that you can get by undergoing prophylaxis.
- Plaque removal: It is not a condition that you should neglect. The buildup of plaque and tartar in your teeth can lead to severe gum diseases. However, even if you practice good oral hygiene, you cannot entirely remove them at home. Despite good oral practices at home, you can’t remove debris, bacteria and deposits in your gum pockets alone. For this reason, you will need the help of a dentist or dental hygienist. Dental professionals have dental cleaning tools to work on these buildups.
- A healthier and brighter smile: Stains can significantly affect the appearance of your teeth. In effect, it would be hard to smile while showing your teeth. On the other hand, prophylaxis will help you get rid of those unwanted stains.
- Fresher breath: Bad breath can signify a progressing periodontal disease. By regular dental cleaning, you can have oral improvements and can reduce infection as well.
- Preventive approach for oral health: By all means, applying preventive dental care ensures better oral health condition. You can reduce the risk of developing oral issues in the future.
What can you expect from dental prophylaxis?
Dental prophylaxis will not take so much of your time. More or less, it will only take an hour or less to complete this procedure. Usually, it would be best to have this at least twice a year. However, if you have periodontal disease, dental prophylaxis should be every three to four months.
During a prophylactic dental appointment, your dentist will update your medical history for your dental health changes. If it has been long since your last visit, your dental visit will be crucial. Aside from that, your teeth will not only get cleaning here. Other procedures may also take place if necessary.
Dental professionals can either execute prophylaxis under a regular dental visit or using general anaesthesia. The usage of general anaesthesia mainly happens if the dentist suspects periodontal disease in the patient.
After the procedure, you might be able to experience some sensitivity for a short time. You may even encounter some bleeding that should gradually subside later on. But then again, it would be possible for you to have a follow-up appointment if you have periodontal disease. Herewith, the dentist will confirm your gum healing and also if there is progress in the size of your periodontal pockets.
In terms of cost, regular dental prophylaxis can average between $50 to more than $100. Meanwhile, as for scaling and root planing, it can cost between $140 to $300. Price varies if you have periodontal disease condition.
Several factors can affect the cost variation, which you have to know beforehand—for example, the clinic’s location, treatment type, frequency of visits and follow-up care. You might even have to consult your dental insurance provider to confirm the potential expenses.
Everyone has to undergo regular cleaning of their teeth. Dental prophylaxis aims to reduce the risk of developing cavities and gum diseases. Additionally, it is an excellent way to prolong the lifespan of dental restorations and prostheses.
Moreover, through dental prophylaxis, you can get an inspection of your teeth and jaw for potential symptoms of health issues. This inspection will help identify underlying oral health conditions and prevent them from progressing.
On the other hand, you have to ensure that the dental clinic you will undergo this with has trained dental professionals. This way, you will be sure to receive the right dental procedures for your oral condition.
Food for thoughts
We all want to keep a healthy set of teeth, free from any problem. It is only possible if we maintain proper oral hygiene and have regular visits to our dentist. Preventive measures are essential, and that includes undergoing preventive dental care inside the dental office.
Dentists are the best people who can provide preventive dental care. So, make your appointments now with your trusted dental clinic.